This program explores and provides comprehension of the concepts and trends within the rapidly changing health care environment that could influence Practitioners. It will outline the anatomy of the U.S. Healthcare structure and its players while defining the roles of the various stakeholders (CMS, Plans, and PBMs) as they interact to manage the coverage, reimbursement, as well s the utilization of services. The attendee will explore the opportunities and challenges of the hospital and emerging systems of care as well as these entities potentially provide their own insurance products.
- Comprehension of the concepts and trends within the rapidly changing health care environment that could influence Practitioners
- Outline the anatomy of the U.S. Healthcare structure and players
- Define the roles of the various stakeholders and they (CMS, Plans, PBMs) interact to manage the coverage, reimbursement, and utilization of services
- Explore the opportunities and challenges of the hospital and emerging systems of care
Healthcare Reform: Cause and Effect
This program summarizes the cause and effect healthcare reform is having on providers and their practices. It will engage the attendees in challenges facing providers within the evolving dynamics of their local market. The objective is for comprehension of the concepts and trends of improving health care quality and identifying the changes in the delivery of health care with consolidation of stakeholders, the evolution of organized providers, and the impact of mergers with in the local market. Data will have an even more important role with providers as it relates to reporting quality that drives pay for performance through MACRA.
- Summarize the cause and effect healthcare reform is having on providers and their practices
- Understand the challenges facing providers and the evolving dynamics within their local market
- Comprehension of the concepts and trends of improving health care quality
- Identify the changes in the delivery of health care with consolidation of stakeholders, the evolution of organized providers and the effect of mergers
- Recognize the impact data will have on providers in its relationship to quality and Pay for Performance
Legal Considerations in Healthcare
This module will introduce attendees to key concepts in health law covering federal law, state law as well as other key legal requirements. The module will focus on practical application of key legal concepts. Special emphasis shall be on the following key areas:
- Fraud and abuse prohibitions
- Privacy and security requirements
- Contracts for health care entities
- Navigating the numerous federal laws, state laws and payor requirements
- Investigations by governmental agencies
Stay Small or Go Big: The Challenges of Independence
The program will examine the Challenge of Independence from the following two perspectives:
- A physician practice to remain independent must meet the challenges of financial considerations, operational infrastructure, regulatory compliance and alternative payment models
- A physician practice that wants to merge with a health system needs to understand the process of negotiation, the benefits of joining a system, and business model options
The New Face of the Patient
In healthcare today, we are experiencing a rise in the knowledge base of patients and their care-givers. At the same time, healthcare as a service is increasingly influenced by consumer activism and changing patient demographics. As such providers must adapt to several disruptive forces impacting their work such as new technologies and new payment models. This module explores the "changing patient” as described by leading authorities in the field covering such topics as:
- Trends in the environment of healthcare
- Population management
- Trust issues between patient and provider
- Public-private partnerships
- The demands of the Do-It-Yourself Generation
The patient experience doesn’t end at your office door. People need consistent guidance at every step of their healthcare journey, and they seek continued, quality relationships with their physicians and staff. By effectively engaging your patients across the entire continuum of care, you can help patients become more knowledgeable about their health, more prepared for care experiences, more motivated to take ownership of their wellbeing, and more satisfied with the services they receive – improving both clinical and financial outcomes.
The program will review:
- Patient / Customer Experience incentives and why it will be more important in the future
- Customer Service Best Practices that you can consider for your practice / organization
- How to utilize new in office strategies to better engage your patients
- How to monitor and improve your patient engagement and feedback in the digital world
Focus on Quality
This workshop emphases the importance of quality in healthcare delivery in the context of patient experience and reimbursement trends. Quality measures and improvement approaches centering on Lean Six Sigma are explained and applied using case studies and simulation exercises.
Key topics include:
- The importance of quality and how we measure it?
- Current trends for improving healthcare quality?
- Understanding Patient Flows using a Simulation game
- Key concepts in Lean Six Sigma
- Change Management – Leading for Quality
The objective of the session is to consider the implications of upcoming payment reform. Healthcare providers need to embrace the core elements of value based care and accountability. The session will feature a combination of market insights and interactive small group assignments with report-outs tackling the practical steps a healthcare provider can take to navigate and excel in the new health system:
- How population health management is re-shaping the US marketplace
- The challenges & opportunities of upcoming payment reform (MACRA)
- Resources available to build value-based program readiness
- Examples of entry-level strategies to get started
This session will provide information on evaluating patient flow and processes and provide strategies for improving practice efficiencies. We will cover solutions for improving the overall patient experience and how providers can spend more time providing care and less time dealing with office distractions. This module will give attendees tools that can be applied in the practice setting to improve overall practice performance.
- Effective Patient flow
- Minimizing wait times
- Staff and patient satisfaction
- Utilizing technology to improve efficiency
- Revenue enhancement and billing effectiveness
As a conclusion, attendees participate in a Capstone exercise that is designed to review their learnings throughout the Mini-MBA in Strategic Healthcare. The exercises are designed to leverage participants experience with the concepts they engaged in to make their experience actionable in the real world. The Capstone class begins with a reminder for attendees about all the “free” skills and attributes they already have at their disposal and continues with a review of highlights from previous courses. Finally, the attendees participate in hands-on, team-based, interactive workshops that enable them to practice their leadership skills in a complex and ever-changing practice landscape.
For an overview of our Mini-MBA: Strategic Healthcare Management for Practices program plus program benefits and outcomes, please click here.