No Classes Currently Scheduled.
Unquestionably, a career in the military is like no other. After years of dedicated service to country, the world as a civilian employee can feel foreign and impenetrable. Learning to successfully communicate and apply the experience acquired while in uniform is an imperative part of a successful career after leaving the armed forces. Current employers of former servicemen and servicewomen who want to help position these unique hires for long-term success in their organizations also play an important role in identifying and cultivating their potential.
Our Mini-MBA in Business Management for Military and Veterans offers a unique opportunity – both for those with military experience, and those who wish to recruit and retain them. Together you can learn how to understand business management skills through the lens of armed forces experience.
- A unique program with two perspectives: Current and former military identify which skills they bring and which they need. Recruiters and employers learn how to lead, support and retain veterans
- Learn from veterans who have transitioned to civilian life and will show how military experiences became the foundation of careers as private citizens
- A post-program mentor–military participants will receive help creating a career plan and setting goals. Employers will learn how to retain and promote veteran employees
- Veterans will be better equipped to leverage military training in daily work life. Employers will clearly articulate how former military can contribute at the office
- Former military gain business skills like financial analysis and people management. Managers will help veterans reshape defense budget management and chains of command experience into workplace-ready assets
- Earn a program certificate as well as Rutgers Business School 3-credit elective waiver that can become the beginning of a university master’s degree path
Associate Professor of Professional Practice
Dr. Lyons conducts research on developing and integrating global environmental, social, economic, ethical criteria and data into supply chain/procurement systems and processes. His research work includes the environmental and economic impacts on raw material extraction, logistics, manufacturing, consumption, consumer of multiple products and services research, designing and implementing local, national...
Our Mini-MBA in Business Management for Military and Veterans will help both military in transition, and those who wish to employ them. If you are an officer or enlisted, you’ll understand the business skills you have, and which ones you need, for long-term success. If your education has been traditional military training, this program will provide a supportive introduction into university instruction.
If you are a civilian with a role related to recruiting, hiring, managing, or supporting veterans, this course will help you identify specific opportunities to develop vets in your organization. Those who focus on employee resources, diversity & inclusion programs, and human resources will learn to better leverage the assets of newly civilian employees. Recruiters and hiring managers will identify and promote special talents of former military workers.
Featuring 10 modules (each covered in 3.5 hours), this program will help you to translate and modify military experience, as well as to master the key business skills distinct to the private workplace. Topics include:
- Global Economic Drivers and Inhibitors – Understand the difference in perspectives of a global community as military goals versus corporate opportunities
- Fundamentals of Finance – Understand business finance methodology compared to defense department budget management, including an overview of balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow
- Leadership: Converting Orders Into Action – Learn how military management compares to corporate leadership, how business communication style differs from the military environment, and the role of civilian law and corporate ethics