The Transformational IT Business World
The module will Introduce the foundation of the course and key principles; lay the groundwork for students to appreciate the importance of managing IT resources today and the challenges associated with effective and efficient IT management, as well as how to make the business case for IT Investment.
- Appreciate the critical importance of effective IT Management in today’s dynamic environment
- Learn about key IT management decisions and trends
- IT and business working in harmony
- Introduction of the 6 components of mature IT-business alignment
IT Strategy & Governance Practices
Discuss strategy in theory and in practical terms, understanding associated tools/metrics/analytics, and introduce models and processes for IT governance.
- What is strategy and why does it matter
- Important tools and how to apply them
- Differences between strategy, tactics and operations
- How does IT strategy relate to business strategy?
- What is IT Governance and how does it drive decision making?
- What are the challenges and benefits of effective IT governance?
- Who are the key stakeholders?
Managing Emerging Technologies
Understanding new and emerging technologies, with a focus on digitization, and establishing best practices for integrating these technologies and establishing management and governance strategies.
- New digital technologies
- Implications of new technologies for infrastructure, applications and services
- Governance approaches for assimilating these technologies
- Adapting IT management strategies for the digital economy
- Concepts in digitization
- Benefits of digitization
- Approaches to digitization
- Challenges in digitization
Evolving Role of CIO and IT Leaders
This module will provide an understanding leadership roles in IT functions, including CIO.
- Current and changing roles of a CIO
- Measuring the effectiveness of a CIO
- Skills and experience necessary for CIO success
- Career paths for CIOs
- Important IT leaderships roles
- Differences between Manager and Leader
- Skills and experience necessary for IT Leadership success
- Pathways for developing leaders
IT Organizational Structure Alternatives
Understand how to establish the best possible organizational structure and reporting model.
- What are traditional IT Organizational Models?
- How are these models changing and evolving?
- Where should the CIO report?
- Implications of other CxO positions
Trends in Sourcing and Outsourcing
Understanding sourcing functions, with particular focus on offshore sourcing and factors/implications to keep in mind.
- Developing effective sourcing strategies
- Benefits and risks of IT outsourcing
- Approaches to outsourcing
- New models of services provisioning: cloud, on-demand computing, business as a service
- Offshore Sourcing/Global Considerations
- Offshore sourcing—where, how, why and when
- What IT executives need to know about offshore sourcing
IT Human Resources Considerations
Understanding how to effectively institute HR policies and procedures; wrap up course and prepare for Capstone by looking at Strategic Alignment again, now that we’ve explored all of the course elements.
- The distinct needs of IT Human Resources?
- Challenges in IT Human Resources Management: succession planning/hiring/training/retention
- Necessary skills for IT professionals
- Effective recruiting, development and retention of IT talent
- Strategic Alignment Maturity Assessment (SAM)
Demonstrating the Value of IT
Understand how to establish metrics for assessing IT value and success of IT projects.
- What are metrics for different IT management activities?
- How should a portfolio strategy for metrics be developed?
- How should IT management performance be communicated to stakeholders
- What are effective program and portfolio management practices? How do they facilitate alignment?
- How should non-IT leaders view and evaluate these metrics?
- Different approaches toward making a business case
- Total Value of IT
- Tangible and intangible benefits of IT projects
Strategic Alignment Maturity Assessment
Understand how to evaluate resources and projects to ensure alignment.
- Strategic Alignment
- What is strategic alignment and how important is it?
- What are different forms of strategic alignment?
- How can it be measured and assessed?
- How to enhance the IT business relationship
Apply learnings to a real-world problem. This will be a faculty-facilitated, small group project. Groups will be presented with a challenge (or series of smaller challenges) and need to come up with a solution/s, drawing on their learnings from the entire course. The Capstone culminates with each group making a presentation of its solution/s to the entire class.
For an overview of our Mini-MBA: Information Technology Management program plus program benefits and outcomes, please click here.