Master of Accountancy in Professional Accounting Program
Are you seeking an advanced degree in accounting but don’t have undergraduate or professional work experience in the field?
The Rutgers Business School Master of Accountancy in Professional Accounting (M.S.) program is a 30-credit, part-time accounting degree for people like you who don't have a traditional educational or professional accounting background, but are seeking an advanced degree in accounting other than an MBA.
If you have an undergraduate degree in a business discipline other than accounting, or in the arts and sciences*, as well as some work experience, then the professional accounting program will help to prepare and equip you for a successful transition into a career in accounting.
Our program balances accounting theory and practice and prepares you to meet the needs of the profession and make a successful career change without the increased cost of pursuing an MBA. Our program also satisfies New Jersey CPA exam credit hour requirements, so if sitting for the CPA is in your plans, our accounting program will help you succeed there, too. Further, while this program is part-time, if your plans change, you can also pursue the option of transferring into the full-time, 14-month Rutgers MBA in Professional Accounting program.
While experience working in the field of accounting is not required, some work experience along with GMAT or GRE test scores are needed to apply.
For more details on how to apply and application requirements, please visit our admissions page.
* If you hold an undergraduate degree in the arts and sciences and you are interested in applying for this program, please contact the program director as some exceptions apply.
- A student may receive two (2) credits for every three (3) credits of undergraduate or graduate course work completed with a B or better in business areas of study. This applies to electives not required as a component of the accounting major, up to a maximum of nine (9) credits and subject to the following conditions:
- Courses must have been completed at an AACSB accredited institution and no more than eight years old.
- Advanced standing must be authorized by the program director. Advanced standing allows students to reduce the number of required credits from 30 to 21.
- Students can take day classes with the MBA in Professional Accounting students.
- Students pursuing a concentration in accounting in the Part-Time MBA program will also be enrolled in these courses.
Learn more about the Program