MBA in Pharmaceutical Management
Rutgers Business School offers a leading MBA program for healthcare, pharmaceutical and biotech professionals, an education bolstered by the school’s proximity and its connections to the hub of industry activity in New Jersey.
Rutgers was recently listed as one of the Top 5 destinations in the world to pursue an MBA in healthcare/pharma by MBAUniverse.com, India's No. 1 MBA portal. And in 2013, the pharmaceutical management program was recognized as one of the top 10 programs in the world by Find-MBA.com. Classes are taught by academic experts, including Professor Michael Santoro, as well as former top industry executives like Thomas Gorrie, who held positions in the upper echelons of management at Johnson & Johnson.
Rutgers Business School partners with such companies as Bayer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Johnson & Johnson and Novartis to provide MBA students focused on pharmaceutical management with distinct advantages including industry-hosted seminars. The partnerships help to support a prestigious Industry Scholars Program that provides scholarships to cover in- or out-of-state tuition for eligible students, offers meaningful internship opportunities and enhances employment prospects with industry giants.
The healthcare industry, which includes pharmaceutical companies, biotech firms and medical device makers, has grown more complex and competitive in the past decade, requiring aspiring managers to be knowledgeable, creative problem-solvers and adept at developing strategies to develop, market and distribute new products.
As a result, the program curriculum is expansive, addressing the many facets of the pharmaceutical business, including legal, regulatory and ethical issues, characteristics of the health care system and real-world marketing challenges faced by the industry.
Rutgers MBA students in the pharmaceutical management program are gaining a reputation for being among the top winners in national case competitions that display their knowledge of different facets of the healthcare business. Rutgers Business School has a track record of wins at some of the most prestigious competitions, including Kellogg School of Management and Wake Forest University. In 2012, Rutgers Business School began hosting its own biopharmaceutical case competition to help showcase the program.
Graduates of the MBA in Pharmaceutical Management find jobs with some of the industry’s largest drug companies, including Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Bayer and Celgene. They also work for companies with connections to the industry, such as Giant Creative Services, one of the largest pharmaceutical advertising firms on the West Coast.
The Pharmaceutical Management Program is strengthened by the Blanche and Irwin Lerner Center for Pharmaceutical Research and the center’s ties to major healthcare companies. The Lerner Center, which was started in 2004, encourages research and thought leadership on critical economic, regulatory and strategic industry issues. The ultimate goal of the center is to position Rutgers Business School as an epicenter of excellence in research and training in healthcare management studies.
To achieve that, the Lerner Center’s mission involves the following:
- To facilitate an exchange of management and research ideas among biopharmaceutical industry professionals and academia through seminars, symposia, workshops and collaborative research projects.
- To support faculty and doctoral students in their research and teaching of economic, managerial and strategic issues confronting the biopharmaceutical industry.
- To provide executive education programs that will help to develop the next generation of industry leaders.
- Legal, Regulatory, and Ethical Issues in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Managing the Pharmaceutical Sales Organization
- Pharmaceutical Industry: Issues, Structure & Dynamics
- Pharmaceutical Marketing Research
- Pharmaceutical Product Management
- U.S. Healthcare System & Pharmaceutical Managed Markets
Learn more about the program
- Pharmaceutical Industry Scholarships
- (PDF) Board of Advisors
- (PDF) Pharmaceutical Management Concentration factsheet
|Contact Information||Program Sponsors|