The Growing Importance of Multicultural Marketing
Rutgers Business School Jerome O. Williams Marketing Seminar
The recent U.S. Census data revealed that America’s population is increasingly “majority minority.” To continue to thrive in this environment, companies must devote resources toward marketing to various target audiences. During this seminar, students will learn about best practices in multicultural marketing, be exposed to examples of successful campaigns, discover the impact of diverse hiring on company profits. They will understand cultural sensitivities, holidays, geographies, and other differences among diverse markets that companies and organizations serve. We will examine what it takes to be successful in positioning brands to market with relevance and respect to the various needs and aspirations of their multicultural customers.
- 8:30 - 9:00am - Breakfast
- 9:00 - 9:15am - Opening remarks by Rutgers Business School Dean, Lei Lei, Ph.D.
- 9:15 - 9:20am - Remarks by Sengun Yeniyurt, Ph.D., Chair of the Marketing Department
- 9:20 - 9:25am - Tribute to the late Dr. Jerome O. Williams, Distinguished Professor and Prudential Chair in Business, Rutgers University Provost, author, mentor, scholar
- Aswani Monga, Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, Rutgers University-Newark
- 9:25 - 10:00am - Opening Keynote address, Nielson
- Charlene Polite Corley, VP, DE&I at Nielsen
- Alexandra Kunish- moderator
- 10:00 - 11:30am - Panel #1 - “Understanding Best Practices in Multi-cultural Marketing”
- Michael Smith, formerly Pepsico LifeWatr brand, Reginald Osborne, Principal at Van Osborne Group
- Stacy Schwartz – moderator
- 11:30 - 11:50am - Fireside chat #1 – The Hispanic Market Growth, Ramon Nieves, CEO of UMG and Ozzie Godinez, CEO of PACO Collective
- Francisco Quevedo - moderator
- 11:50am - 12:00pm - Coffee break
- 12:00 - 12:20 pm - Fireside chat #2 - Significance of the Asian Market - 3AF President, `Indrajit Majumdar, of the Asian American Advertising Federation and Mr. Telly Wong, Chief Content Officer & SVP at IW Group
- Medhavi Chakrabarty – moderator
- 12:20 - 12:40pm Fireside chat #3 LGBTQ - Brian Felt, Founding Partner at BMF Media
- Marc Kaplan- moderator
- 12:40 - 1:00pm - Panel #2 – “Diversity & Inclusion’s Impact on Multicultural Marketing”
- Dr. Rhianna Rogers Director of the RAND Corp’s Center to Advance Racial Equity and Amber Chenevert, of VMYL&R
- Erich Toncre – moderator
- 1:00 - 1:30pm - Case Study: Mattel’s He-Man partners with Olmec Toy’s Sun-Man –
- Ed Duncan, Senior Vice President, Global Head of Design for Boys Action, Games, and Inventor Relations, P. J. Lewis, Vice President, Global Marketing and Portfolio Leader and Angela Beck, Director, Global Brand Marketing, Action Figures, all from Mattel, Inc.
- Yla Eason - moderator
- 1:30 - 2:00pm - Lunch- Keynote speaker – Pepper Miller, President, The Hunter-Miller Group, Inc. Author, Black "Still" Matters in Marketing; Co-Author "What's Black About It?"
- 2:30 - 3:00pm - Networking
This event is free.