Professor and Dean of Rutgers Business School
Dean Lei Lei received her Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering from the University of Wisconsin (Madison) with a minor in Computer Sciences. She has served as the dissertation advisor for many Ph.D. students, co-guest editor for Annals of Operations Research, associate editor of IIE Transactions, and Naval Research Logistics. She was a member of the review board of Journal of Supply Chain Management and the review panel of the National Science Foundation. Her research expertise includes supply chain network design and optimization, operations planning, scheduling and process recovery after disruptions, demand-supply planning, and resource allocation optimization.
Dean Lei has over 50 refereed publications, including from journals such as Management Science, INFORMS Journal on Computing, Interfaces, IIE Transactions, European Journal of Operations Research, Journal of Operational Research Society, and Naval Research Logistics. She was the leading researcher for an industry distribution network design project that led to a potential savings of millions of dollars in 2004. She was a semi-finalist for the 2002 INFORMS Franz Edelman Award for Achievement in Operations Research and Management Science. She was also the Principal Investigator of a major government research grant on pharmaceutical supply chains (2011-2013).
Dean Lei is a recipient of numerous best teacher awards at Rutgers Business School; was named one of the two Most Popular Business Professors at Rutgers University by Business Week; and was selected as one of the Top 50 Women in Business in 2015 by NJBIZ.
She was nominated as the U.S. Professor of the Year (2010) and is the Founding Director of the Rutgers Center for Supply Chain Management.
After serving as the founding chair of Department of Supply Chain Management from 2008-2014, she is now the Dean of Rutgers Business School.
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison; Industrial Engineering
M.S., Dalian Univ. of Tech; Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Coordinating Supplier Selection and Project Scheduling in Resource-Constrained Construction Supply Chains (W. Chen, L. Lei, Z. Wang, M. Teng and J. Liu), International Journal of Production Research, 2018 (https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2018.1436782)
- Supply Chain Flexibility and Operations Optimisation Under Demand Uncertainty: A Case in Disaster Relief (J. M. Song, W. Chen and L. Lei), International Journal of Production Research, 2018 (https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2017.1416203)
- A Heuristic for Emergency Operations Scheduling with Lead Times and Hardiness Penalties (L. Lei, K. Lee, and H. Dong), European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 250, No. 3, May 2016, pp. 726-736.
- The State of Business Education and Research – Perspectives from Educational Leaders around the Globe (C. Evirgen, L. Lei, P. Moizer, R. Phillips, B. Stottinger, and M. Wilson), Rutgers Business Review, Vol. 1, No.1, 2016, pp.1-26.
- Personnel scheduling and supplies provisioning in emergency relief operations (L. Lei, M. Pinedo, L. Qi, S. Wang, and J. Yang), Annals of Operations Research, Vol. 235, No.1, 2015, pp. 487-515.
- Integrated operations scheduling with delivery deadlines (G. Wang and L. Lei), Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol. 85, July 2015, pp. 177–185
- Integrated Batch Production and Distribution Scheduling with Limited Vehicle Capacity (S. Gao, L. Qi and L. Lei), International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 160, Feb. 2015, pp.13-25.
- Supply Chain Scheduling with Receiving Deadlines and Non-linear Penalty (Gang Wang, Lei Lei, and Kangbok Lee), Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol. 66, 2015, pp.380-391.
- Integrated Production/Distribution/Routing Planning for Supply Chain Networks: A Review (Lei Lei, Kangbok Lee, Rosa Oppenheim, Lian Qi, Hui Dong, and Shengbin Wang), Supply Chain Management and Logistics: Innovative Strategies and Practical Solutions (Edited by W. Art Chaovalitwongse and Zhe Liang), CRC Press - Taylor & Francis Group, as part of the “Industrial and Systems Engineering” series, 2015
- A Solvable Case of Emergency Supply Chain Scheduling Problem with Multi-stage Lead Times (Kangbok Lee, Lei Lei, and Hui dong), Journal of Supply Chain and Operations Management (ISSN: 2167-7115), Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 30-45, Oct., 2013
- Operations Scheduling with Multiple Resources and Transportation Considerations (K. Lee, L. Lei, M. Pinedo, and S. Wang), International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 51, Issue 23-24, pp. 7071-7090, 2013
- Solving a Variation of the Integrated Supply and Distribution Problem with Heterogeneous Vessels (Chungxin Fan, Lei Lei, and Shuguang Liu), Journal of Supply Chain and Operations Management (ISSN: 2167-7115), Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 13-32, Feb., 2013
- A Case of the Container-Vessel Scheduling Problem (Selim Bora, Endre Boros, Lei Lei), ICORES Conference Proceedings, 2014
- Polynomial-time solvable cases of the capacitated multi-echelon shipping network scheduling problem with delivery deadlines (G. Wang and L. Lei), International Journal of Production Economics, 137 (2012), pp. 263–271
- Production Scheduling with History-Dependent Setup Times (K. Lee, L. Lei and M. Pinedo), Naval research Logistics, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 58–68, Jan. 2012.
- On the Integrated Supply and Distribution problem with Heterogeneous Vessels* (Fan, C., Lei, L., and Liu, S.). Proceedings of the 4th International Conference of Operations and Supply Chain Management and Decision Sciences Institute 2010 Annual Meeting, Hong Kong, July 2010. Asia Pacific Region Best Paper Award Winner
- On the Integrated Production and Distribution Problem with Bi-directional Flows (L. Lei, H. Zhong, and W. Chaovalitwongse). INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 21, No. 4, 2009, pp.585-598.
- A zero-inventory production and distribution problem with a fixed customersequence* (R. Armstrong, S. Gao, and L. Lei), Annals of Operations Research, special volume on Multidisciplinary Scheduling: Theory and Applications, G. Kendall, L. Lei, and M. Pinedo (eds.), Vol. 159, March 2008, pp. 395-414.
*Award winning paper: New Jersey Bright Idea Award in Operations Management (2009 Award)
- Collaborative vs. Non-collaborative Vessel Scheduling (L. Lei, C. Fan, M. Boile, and S. Theofanis), Transportation Research E, Vol. 44, 2008, pp. 504-520.
- Scheduling Vessels and Container-Yard Operations with Conflicting Objectives* (E. Boros, L. Lei, Y. Zhao, and H. Zhong), Annals of Operations Research, special volume on Supply Chain Scheduling and Coordination, N. Hall, L. Lei, and M. Pinedo (eds.), Vol. 161, July 2008, pp 149-170.
*Award winning paper: New Jersey Bright Idea Award in Decision Science (2009).
- On the Multi-Product Packing-Delivery Problem with a Fixed Route (S. Liu, L. Lei, and S. Park), Transportation Research E, Vol. 44, 2008, pp.350-360.
- The Integrated Production and Transportation Scheduling Problem for a Product with a Short Lifespan (N. Geismar, G. Laporte, L. Lei and C. Sriskandarajah), INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2008, pp.21-33.
- Minimizing the Cycle Time of Multiple-Product Processing Networks with a Fixed Operation Sequence, Setups, and Time-Window Constraints (V. Kats, L. Lei, and E. Levner), European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.187, No. 3, 2008, pp. 1196–1211.
- Production and Distribution Planning with Many Practical Constraints (S. Liu, L. Lei, and A. Ruszczynski ), International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2007, pp. 129-143.
- Container Vessel Scheduling with Bi-directional Flows (Z. Chen, L. Lei, and H. Zhong), Operations Research Letters, Vol. 35, 2007, pp. 186-194.
- On the Integrated Production, Inventory, and Distribution Routing Problem (L. Lei, S. Liu, A. Ruszczynski, and S. Park), IIE Transactions, Vol. 38, No. 11, November, 2006, pp. 955-970.
- Optimal Business Policies for a Supplier-Transporter-Buyer Channel with a Price-Sensitive Demand (L. Lei, Q. Wang, and X. Fan), Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol. 57, 2006, pp. 281-289.
- Multiple project scheduling with controllable project duration and hard resource constraint: some solvable cases (C. Y. Lee and L. Lei), Annals of Operations Research – Project Scheduling, G. Ulusoy and W. Herroelen (eds.), Vol. 102, 2001, pp. 287-307.
- Optimal cyclic scheduling of a robotic processing line with two-product and time-window constraints (L. Lei and Q. Liu), INFOR, Vol. 39, No. 2, May 2001. pp.185-199.
- An Efficient Algorithm for a Class of Two-resource Allocation Problem (R. Armstrong, S. Gu, and L. Lei), INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1998, pp. 114-120.
- Solving a Class of Two-resource Allocation Problems by Equivalent Load Method (R. Armstrong, S. Gu, and L. Lei), Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol. 48, 1997, pp. 818-825.
- Current Trends in Deterministic Scheduling (C. Y. Lee, L. Lei, and M. Pinedo). Annals of Operations Research–Scheduling: Theory and Applications, C. Y. Lee and L. Lei (eds.), Vol. 70, 1997, pp. 1- 41.
- Determining the Number of Transporters for a Cyclic Transportation Schedule(L. Lei, R. Armstrong, and S. H. Gu), Applications of Management Science: Engineering, Vol. 9, 1996, pp. 175-190. Can’t find this online to verify it.
- A Greedy Algorithm to Determine the Number of Transporters in a Cyclic Electroplating Process (R. Armstrong, S. H. Gu, and L. Lei), IIE Transactions, Vol. 28, No. 5, 1996, pp. 347-355.
- An O(Nlog(1/)) Algorithm for the Two-resource Allocation Problem with a Non-differentiable Convex Objective Function (R. Armstrong, S. Gu, and L. Lei). Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol. 46, 1995, pp.116-122.
- A Bounding Scheme for Deriving the Minimal Cycle Time of a Single-Transporter N-Stage Process with Time-Window Constraints (R. Armstrong, L. Lei, and S.Gu). European Journal of Operations Research, Vol. 78, 1994, pp. 130-140.
- Determining Optimal Cyclic Schedules in a Single Hoist Electroplating Line (L. Lei and T. J. Wang), IIE Transactions, Vol. 26, No. 2, 1994, pp. 25-33.
- Minimizing the Fleet Size for a Cyclic Transportation Schedule with Dependent Time Windows and Single-Track Constraints. (L. Lei, R. Armstrong, and S. H. Gu)., Operations Research Letters, Vol. 14, 1993, pp. 91-98.
- Determining the optimal starting times in a cyclic schedule with a given route, Computers and Operations Research, Vol. 20, No.8, 1993, pp. 807-816.
- The Minimum Common-Cycle Algorithm for Cyclic Scheduling of Two Material Handling Hoists with Time Window Constraints (L. Lei and T. J. Wang), Management Science, Vol. 37, No. 12, 1991, pp. 1629-1639.
- Minimizing the Cycle Time of a Just-in-Time Manufacturing Process with a Single Transporter (R. Armstrong, L. Lei and S.H. Gu), Manufacturing Research & Technology, Vol. 12, 1991, pp. 237-246. Can’t find online to verify it.
- An Expert Scheduling System for Material Handling Hoists. (A. Thesen and L. Lei), Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol.9, No.3, 1990, pp. 247-252.
- Optimizing production, inventory, and distribution for General Chemical Group (D. Keefer, D. Bloomquist, D. Graziosi, L. Lei, A. Ruszczynski, S. Liu and H. Zhong), Interfaces (Practice Abstract), Vol. 32, No. 4, 2002, pp. 67-68.
Name: Jian, Zhe
Graduation Date: 2017/May
Thesis Title: A Sub-gradient Heuristic for Multimodal Freight Transportation Problem
(Co-advisor with Weiwei Chen)
Name: Wang, Yijun
Graduation Date: 2017/May
Thesis Title: Essays on Supply Chain and Healthcare Analytics
(Co-advisor with Yao Zhao)
Name: Wang, Zhengwei
Graduation Date: 2016/October
Thesis Title: Coordinated Supplier Selection and Project Scheduling in a Resource-Constrained Construction Supply Chains
(Co-Advisor with Weiwei Chen)
Name: Dong, Hui
Graduation Date: 2014/May
Thesis Title: Solving the Emergency Operations Scheduling Problem with Multi-staged Lead Times and Tardiness Penalties
Name: Wang, Shengbin
Graduation Date: 2014/January
Thesis Title: Operations Scheduling with Renewable and Non-Renewable Resources
Name: Wang, Gang
Graduation Date: 2012/October
Thesis Title: Operations Scheduling with Delivery Deadlines in Multi-Echelon Supply Chains
Name: Gao, Su
Graduation Date: 2011/October
Thesis Title: On the Integrated Production and Distribution Problems in Make-to-Order Businesses
Name: Fan, Chunxing
Graduation Date: 2007/October
Thesis Title: On the Collaborative Planning and Scheduling Problems
Name: Zhong, Hua
Graduation Date: 2006/May
Thesis Title: Models and Algorithms for Supply Chain Network with Bi-Directional Flows
Name: Liu, Shuguang
Graduation Date: 2003/October
Thesis Title: On the Integrated Production, Inventory, and Distribution Routing Problem
Name: Liu, Qing
Graduation Date: 1999/October
Thesis Title: On The Robotic Cyclic Scheduling Of M-Stage Flow Lines With Multiple-Part And Time Window Constraints
Name: Gu, Shanhong
Graduation Date: 1999/ May
Thesis Title: On The Single Hoist Cyclic Scheduling Problem