This program explores and provides comprehension of the concepts and trends within the rapidly changing health care environment that could influence Practitioners. It will outline the anatomy of the U.S. Healthcare structure and its players while defining the roles of the various stakeholders (CMS, Plans, and PBMs) as they interact to manage the coverage, reimbursement, as well as the utilization of services. The attendee will explore the opportunities and challenges of the hospital and emerging systems of care as well as these entities potentially provide their own insurance products.
- Comprehension of the concepts and trends within the rapidly changing health care environment that could influence Practitioners
- Outline the anatomy of the U.S. Healthcare structure
- Define the roles of the various stakeholders and how they (CMS, Plans, PBMs) interact to manage the coverage, reimbursement, and utilization of services
- Explore the opportunities and challenges of the hospital and emerging systems of care
Legal Considerations in Healthcare
This module will introduce attendees to key concepts in health law covering federal law, state law as well as other key legal requirements. The module will focus on practical application of key legal concepts.
- Fraud and abuse prohibitions
- Privacy and security requirements
- Contracts for health care entities
- Navigating the numerous federal laws, state laws and payor requirements
- Investigations by governmental agencies
Healthcare Reform: Cause and Effect
This program summarizes the cause and effect healthcare reform is having on providers and their practices. It will engage the attendees in challenges facing providers within the evolving dynamics of their local market. The objective is for comprehension of the concepts and trends of improving health care quality and identifying the changes in the delivery of health care with consolidation of stakeholders, the evolution of organized providers, and the impact of mergers within the local market. Data will have an even more important role with providers as it relates to reporting quality that drives pay for performance through MACRA.
- Summarize the cause and effect healthcare reform is having on providers and their practices
- Understand the challenges facing providers and the evolving dynamics within their local market
- Understand trends of improving health care quality
- Identify the changes in the delivery of health care with consolidation of stakeholders, the evolution of organized providers and the effect of mergers
Changes in policy variables such as tax rates, interest rates, and deficits influence employment, earnings and output and form the backdrop against which businesses need to formulate long-term strategy.
The objective of this module is to provide participants with the tools necessary to analyze the consequences of fiscal and monetary policies and, to some extent, to “demystify” the effects of macroeconomic policies while formulating strategy for periods of recession as well as recovery at the organizational (or personal) level.
- Understand the importance of our global economy and how global policy changes affect every day life
- Learn how to make better financial decisions, manage levers and build strategic partnerships
- Develop a more effective leadership approach to help guide your organization through globalization, growth, and macroeconomic shocks
Analyzing Financial Statements
Reading and analyzing financial statements and understanding the underlying story they tell is the focus of this module. Topics include the balance sheet, the income and cash flow statements.
- What are financial statements?
- What do the various components of each statement tell us?
- What information can I derive from each statement?
- What are some red flags or key data points I should watch out for when reading financial statements?
Tools for Making Sound Financial Decisions
This session will demonstrate financial tools and models that can be used evaluate the probability that the future benefits will be large enough to justify the upfront costs when considering a new strategic initiative or investment to improve current operations, whether in equipment, personnel, or other areas of your organization.
- Gain an understanding of the time value of money and its importance in investment analysis.
- Learn how and when to use alternative measures of Return on Investment, e.g., Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR), and Payback Period.
- Practice using Excel spreadsheets to conduct discounted cash flow (DCF) analyses of potential projects and initiatives.
- Use scenario analysis and other techniques to evaluate the risk/reward trade-offs present in all business investments.
This session will provide information on evaluating patient flow and processes and provide strategies for improving practice efficiencies. We will cover solutions for improving the overall patient experience and how providers can spend more time providing care and less time dealing with office distractions. This module will give attendees tools that can be applied in the practice setting to improve overall practice performance.
- Effective Patient Flow
- Minimizing Wait Times
- Staff and Patient Satisfaction
- Utilizing Technology to Improve Efficiency
- Revenue Enhancement and Billing Effectiveness
Focus on Quality
This session emphasizes the importance of quality in healthcare delivery in the context of patient experience and reimbursement trends. Quality measures and improvement approaches centering on Lean Six Sigma are explained and applied using case studies and simulation exercises.
- The importance of quality and how we measure it
- Current trends for improving healthcare quality
- Understanding Patient Flows using a Simulation game
- Key concepts in Lean Six Sigma
- Change Management – Leading for Quality
The objective of the session is to consider the implications of upcoming payment reform. Healthcare providers need to embrace the core elements of value based care and accountability. The session will feature a combination of market insights and interactive small group assignments with report-outs tackling the practical steps a healthcare provider can take to navigate and excel in the new health system.
- How population health management is re-shaping the US marketplace
- The challenges & opportunities of upcoming payment reform (MACRA)
- Resources available to build value-based program readiness
- Examples of entry-level strategies to get started
For an overview of our Mini-MBA: Healthcare Management program plus program benefits and outcomes, please click here.