Rutgers University undergraduates benefit enormously from the school’s proximity and ties to Wall Street whether it be via internships, networking opportunities, or frequent on-campus alumni presentations. Landing a job on the Street, however, requires intense focus from the early days of undergraduate life, as recruiting for most of the highly coveted summer internships begins in the winter of sophomore year and ends in the summer before junior year.
The Rutgers Road to Wall Street Program is designed to boost the industry knowledge and interview skills of a select group of approximately 55 sophomores who demonstrate a strong interest in and knowledge of the financial markets. Following the establishment of the program nine years ago, there has been substantial growth in the number of junior internship placements for Rutgers undergraduates. Rutgers Newark and New Brunswick undergraduate students with an interest in the financial markets and Wall Street careers are encouraged to apply for this outstanding program.
- One-on-One Counseling: Access to counseling with the Director of the Road Wall Street program provides individual support for job selection, networking, and general interview preparation.
- Summer Training and Preparation: Mandatory summer readings on attitude, mindset, leadership, and three online courses on Corporate Finance, Financial Accounting, and Investment Analysis.
- Fall Financial Modeling & Valuation Course: Cohort members will complete a mandatory three-credit Fall course designed to provide the technical and market knowledge required for various roles on Wall Street. Topics for the course include financial statement analysis, equity research analysis, discounted cash flow analysis, and Excel shortcuts for financial modeling. The course also requires completion of a comprehensive equity research report that is presented to the class at the end of the term.
- Peer & Alumni Mentor Match: Alumni mentors provide instruction and contacts necessary to help students maximize their job search efforts. Mentors range from Associates to Managing Directors. Rutgers alumni provide a critical resource for Road to Wall Street participants and are often involved with the candidate selection process at RU for their respective firms. Peer mentors will be provided in the fall semester for introductory training and preparation for the alumni mentorship.
- Extra-curricular involvement: Cohort members will have year-round access to industry executives through guest lectures, site visits, networking events and workshops on topics such as sales and trading.